Monday, June 5, 2017

Forest Gump Takes On Pediatric Cancer....

You know how there are causes out there that just get to you? Pediatric cancer is that to me. I don't why,  but every time I get on facebook, there's another picture of a little babe battling this horrible disease. Cancer for adults is bad enough, but babies? And when I think what cancer has done to my poor mom's body, well, like I said, it just gets me. I have no talents, people. But I can run. So run I did! And luckily for me, this cause gets to my people too. So run WE did! I completed my LAST 26.2! I'd like to say it was pretty, the race wasn't too bad, but the recovery lasted days and I felt like I had been beaten up... Even my ears were sore.
We formed a team to raise money for Strong Against Cancer and ran in honor of our friend's daughter, Hannah, who passed away shy of her 10th birthday.
We set a goal for $10,000 and literally as we were riding a shuttle to the starting line, I saw this message. YEAH BUDDY!
Training takes a toll on the body. I ran so hard, I got bloody. Or a sign jumped out at me.
Part of our team! Some not pictured because they did the 5k and one not pictured because we lost her to the porta potty land pictured in the background. The backdrop is ironic. Mile 2 and the runner's gut/GI issues began. Only 24 miles of you-know-what. Insert grimmace face.
Pictures compliments of Chelsea.
Also photos compliments of Chelsea. I'm not talented enough to photo and run.

In a world where you are constantly bombarded by "bad" news, where it seems the world is going to a hell in a handbasket, there are these people beside me who are the bright spots. It makes my heart so happy to know these ladies and to witness their kindness, their dedication and their love. To all who donated, who supported, who listened to my endless talks about "you know this run I was on" and who cheered us on, thank you just doesn't seem to be enough! While my marathon running days are over, stay tuned, my pediatric cancer fundraising is not.... XOXO

No comments: