Monday, June 4, 2012

D.C.!!!

I recently returned from a trip to Washington D.C. to attend the National Coalition for Homeless Veteran's Conference. What a trip it was... I realized just how fantastic my co-workers are, sharing more than a million laughs and learned how easy going these gals are when in a crunch... (We had a 6 hour wait on the tarmac on our way home, missed our connecting flight in Salt Lake and were left with a few hours of sleep and over 24 hours in the same clothes. What could you do? Just laugh some more).



One of my co-worker's cousins is in the Secret Service and we met up with him one evening. Unfortunately for me and fortunately for the country, he help up to his title and I couldn't squeak out much information (or really any). But he did mention this demonstration has been going on for years and years...

Oh Idaho, how we love you so! WWII monument...

Kids, kids, kids... I think every junior high was on tour, making me realize that I might be looking for surrogate parents for my children when they become this age (I kid, I kid) and also making me realize I will never chaperon this type of event! Sorry kids...

Vietnam Memorial. I would have been in tears if it weren't for the aforementioned humongous gaggle of hormonal tweens scooting around. Kids aside, it was amazing.

 More Vietnam Memorial
And still trying to heal...

Honest Abe!

Korean Conflict Memorial. 


Traveling partners!

Martin Luther King Exhibit

Amanda and I have worked together for years and years, sharing identical resumes (which is no small feat when you are a job-hoarder like the two of us!). Of course I had to come to the VA shortly after she did! This lady and I have shared some serious laughter and I'm so lucky to also call her a friend!

I had to get a picture snapped so I could send to my grandparents to let them know this small town gal was still alive and well in the big city!




I'm a big nerd, but this was a really exciting moment. Secretary Shinseki and Secretary Donovan accepting an award on behalf of the President. It was so inspiring to hear these gentleman talk about the future of housing our country's homeless veterans! (I told you I am a huge nerd.)
Thankfully, I rarely travel for work because I crave these crazy little people (and one big person) in my house when I was gone. I always get to come home to something special!

So when I refer to myself as a "nerd," I'm not alone in those feelings... Oh well, there are worse things I could be!

No comments: