Thursday, December 20, 2012

More happenings...

It has happened, I'm at a loss for words. For the past 35 years, I have been anything but "at a loss for words." I am trying to put together my grandfather's obituary. How in the world can I complete this task without taking up an entire newspaper? There are so many things that should be remembered, that should be eulogized and that should not be forgotten. How can I pick the best parts when my lifetime with this man was full of the "best parts?" 


Since I can't take up an entire newspaper with my thoughts about this dear man, I'll have to leave it to the blog. But even with the entirety of the internet, I can't even capture all of the best memories, there are just too many... Summers in Hawaii, entire afternoons playing "blind man's tag" and grandpa being one of the most obvious cheaters on Earth. The tennis matches, the endless games of "horse," the constant cheering presence at all of our sporting events. Traipsing through Europe, grandpa ordering pomme frites at every turn. (Not that I really think he likes french fries that much, but he just liked the words). Also the constant thumb up, and "Ein Bier." Morning, noon and night, not that he really wanted a "beer" but just liked saying it. Quiet time up at the cabin, eating too much food, snowmobiling more hours than not. Grandpa picking out my wedding dress, telling me, "That is the one! Let's get it!" (What other Grandpa does that? Seriously!) And whiskey, oh the love of whiskey! The "happy birthday" singing. The "redneck comments," don't mess with Bobby Bob. The endless questions when I entered the social work profession. Not many of the questions were as to what I actually do, but whether or not there is enough security. Calling Ryan and telling him it's snowing, summer or spring, didn't matter. Always making sure to tell Ryan to "get to work." Then giggling, "Yeah right." Oh how I am going to miss the constant joking with all of us... The adoration of his family and his lack of fear about telling us about his love for us. Setting such an amazing example of a loving and fun marriage, Bob and Doll cornered the market in that category.

My brother and I were fortunate to be there at the end, helping grandpa transition to a place where he and my mom are celebrating the lives they've left behind. What a party that must be... Needless to say, the hole Grandpa left is huge, but the legacy he left is bigger. Rest in peace grandpa. You are going to need the rest because when the rest of us get up there, it won't likely be restful anymore! We miss you more than you can imagine!


1 comment:

The Headlee Family said...

Thinking of you Sarah and your family. What great words you shared that painted a picture of an amazing man. xoxoxo, Deborah